When the Rev. John C. Jacobsen, Pastor of the First Lutheran Church in Manhattan Beach received a card from “This is the Life” television broadcast referring him to Mr. Glenn Kaae in El Segundo, he decided to follow up. He found not only this family but a number of other Lutheran families which formed the nucleus for a new mission. Mr. Kaae subsequently became the first president of the congregation.
Ralphs Grocery Stores has a Community Contribution Program. Ralphs will send St. John’s a check quarterly based on the amount of money you spend at their store.
Our school’s ID# is 83971 and if you have any trouble with that, the official name of our school is “St. John’s Lutheran Preschool” and it can be entered. Our address is:
1611 Sycamore Ave
El Segundo, CA 90245.
Any donations to our Preschool or Church can be mailed directly to St. John’s Lutheran Church.
In September, 1953, the group held the first service in the Woman’s Club building. Services and Sunday school were held there for the next five years until the completion of the present house of worship at 1611 East Sycamore. The congregation was officially organized in January 1954, with a charter membership of 24 communicants and 49 baptized members. Pastor Jacobsen served as Pastor of the mission until July 1956, when the first resident Pastor Arthur H. Zschiegner, a candidate from the seminary in St. Louis, was installed. Pastor Zschiegner and his family lived in the small house at 1610 E. Walnut until the present parsonage was purchased at 901 McCarthy Court in the latter part of 1957.
With financial aid and encouragement of the Southern California District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, the congregation entered its building program in 1957 under the leadership of Mr. Arthur Viren. Mr. Viren served as chairmen of the building committee and as contractor. The members of the congregation joined enthusiastically in the work of the building the house worship. It was dedicated on July 13, 1958.
St. John’s Preschool strives to create a warm, and loving community where the children, through active involvement with the physical environment, learn to be self sufficient, solve problems, interact with peers in positive ways, and generally grow in all areas of development. Our hope is that each child will begin to find their own unique God-given potential through their experiences at St. John’s.